In 2010 the Fuji Xerox Australia Eco Manufacturing centre celebrates 10 years of operation.
The Eco Manufacturing centre is a state-of-the-art engineering facility for the remanufacture of parts and sub-assemblies removed from equipment during service. The centre opened in 2000 and won one of the world’s highest honours, election to the UN 500 Roll of Honour for environmental leadership.
Over the past 10 years the centre has grown and achieved further recognition for work in remanufacturing, winning prestigious environmental and engineering awards. Now the centre moves towards a future in innovation, developing and piloting new remanufacturing and programs and working in product design for the Fuji Xerox group of companies.
• Remanufactures approximately 150,000 parts and subassemblies annually to ‘better than new’ condition.
• Accounts for 30 per cent of Fuji Xerox Australia’s spare parts requirements by value.
• Facility covers all Xerox and Fuji Xerox technologies and has developed over 900 remanufacturing programs.
• By incorporating policies for future remanufacturing and recycling into its product design process, Fuji Xerox has avoided almost 139,000 tonnes of carbon emissions and reduced the requirements for raw materials by 21,600 tons, between 1996 and 2008.
• Located in Sydney, Australia.
In 2000 Fuji Xerox Australia began working with the Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA) to establish an extended producer responsibility scheme for the computer and peripherals industry.
Since 2007 we have supported Byteback, a consumer electronic equipment recycling project in Victoria. Byteback now collects 800 tonnes per annum, which would fill the equivalent of 1.5 olympic swimming pools.
Ten year’s work lobbying the government and demonstrating it can be done through the Byteback program, has now produced a positive result. In November 2009 a National Waste Policy was announced which involves a regulated recycling scheme for computers and televisions.
© Fuji Xerox Australia Pty Limited. All rights reserved